Australian Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

What is the Australian Working Holiday Visa all about?
The Australian Working Holiday Visa is for those people who are looking to gain some income to supplement their holiday expenses in Australia by taking up short-term job/s. This visa will not allow you to however, take part in the work force with long term employments.

When you enter Australia with this visa, you can stay for a maximum period of 12 months in Australia. You are able to study for the maximum number of 4 months with your visa. You will be able to work in Australia with this visa, but you will not be able to work for over 6 months for any of your employers in Australia. With this visa, you may be able to exit and re- enter Australia for however many times you would like, as long as your visa is valid.

Am I eligible?
In order to qualify for the Australian Working Holiday Visa, you are required to be between 18 and 30 years old. You must already be 18 years old, but you should not have turned 31 when you apply for this visa. You must be in good health and you should be able to provide medical prove of this. You may also be asked to give prove (usually a bank statement) of your ability to support yourself financially during your stay in Australia. Furthermore, you will need to have a good character in order to be considered. For details of specific character requirements, visit:

Australia has a Working Holiday program agreement in place with some countries, if you have a passport from the countries listed bellow, you may usually be able to apply and get this visa:

Canada, Belgium, Republic of Cyprus, Estonia, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China), Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Republic of Korea, Malta, Taiwan, Norway, Sweden and UK.

Citizens of Chile, Turkey, Thailand and USA may be eligible to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462). This visa is similar to the Working Holiday Visa and will give you similar rights and opportunities.

How do I apply?
If you are applying for this visa for the first time, in order to be granted the visa, you must be outside of Australia when lodging your visa application. If this is your second time applying for this visa, you are able to lodge your application from either overseas or in Australia. You can lodge your visa application online or you can download a paper copy and lodge your application by post. To apply online and/ or to get a paper copy of the application form, go to:

How much will I have to pay for this visa?
The current fee for the Working Holiday Visa (417) and the Work and Holiday Visa (462) is $235. This fee applies for both first time and second time applicants and it is payable in Australian dollars (AUD).

If you are an online applicant, you will be able to pay this fee online by using your credit card (additional credit card fees may apply), or you can use the Australian telephone BPAY method or you can choose to use the Internet banking option. If you are lodging your visa application from within Australia, you can pay this fee also in person with your debit card, or you can pay by bank cheque or money order. To see all payment options available to you, go to:

If you are paying with overseas currency, you will need to make sure that the currency is accepted by the High Commission of Australia. To get more information about your payment details and to get a currency conversion, go to: